Thursday, January 21, 2016

Find 5 Friday

1- I enjoyed reading the personal story of Kim Jaxon, "Empowering Students through Co-learning", and completely agree with her that students should talk more than the teacher in the classroom. The classroom should be a student-centered environment, not teacher-centered.
2- One of Kim Jaxon's ideas particularly caught my attention. Kim says, "Do the thing. Most of the work students would do outside of class--reading, writing, talking, playing, making--we do in class too. I like to think of my classroom as a big activity space where we are always taking curated material and making something with the ideas and materials of our discipline."
3- it is very true that the teacher learns from the students' experiences and feedback about how to make the course more effective. A personal experience, for instance, I never heard of GroupMe until one of my students sent me an email asking to add me to a class group he created. This group is for chatting and practicing the Arabic language, asking questions, and having fun too which makes the class more exciting and enjoyable for students.
4- Reading the personal story of Dr. Jaxon motivated me to read "Situated Learning". I mostly enjoyed exploring the elements of situated learning, which are; content (facts and processes of a task), context (situations, values, environment cues), community (the group where the learner will create and negotiate) and participation (where a learner works together with others in order to solve the problem).
5- My eleven year old daughter is a Snapchat user. My husband and I don't feel comfortable about her using this service as it leaves room for issues you would not normally encounter using a more antiquated mode of communication. After reading how Dr. Jaxon let her students use in her class and her stance on the technology, I feel more relaxed about my daughter using it, and am currently brainstorming ideas to find a way to let my students use it in a productive manner in class.http://connectedlearning.tv/personal-stories/kim-jaxon-empowering-students-through-co-learning
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment