Sunday, February 21, 2016

I Love Teaching

Even as a child, being a teacher my dream, and my dream came true. Teaching for me is not just a job to make ends meet, it is my number one hobby. Days that I do not teach, I feel I am missing something.

Even though my focus is not on teaching children, I still teach some kids privately. I love their laughs when I explain an idea in a funny way to make them get it, or play a game to practice what they learned. I love their ability to learn a critical language like Arabic often faster than adults are able. I love it when they make sure to show me what they learned to make me happy, and when they share  their stories with me.

Teaching university level students is my focus. My students make my day when I see them learning something new about the Arabic language, culture, and traditions every time we meet. I love it when I read their reflections and opinions on topics we discuss in the classroom through their essays. I love it when they teach me something new I am not aware of. The best time we spend together when we are practicing and demonstrating skills in a trip outside campus. The most I LOVE LOVE LOVE is when they annoy me with their text messages at 9:00 or 10:00 pm to ask me a question in the language or share with me what they found.

 I enjoy most teaching the continuing education students. These students are learning not because of any requirements nor to obtain credits. They are learning just because they enjoy learning and because they want to expand their knowledge. They are all professionals in their jobs. Meeting for a lesson is the most relaxing time for both of us.  Most of the time our relationships turn into family friends who enjoy learning from each others and sharing two different cultures in a very civilized manner.

I am not sure if I will be mentally able to retired one day in my life. I feel that teaching for me is like water for fish. Fish can't live without water, and I can't live without teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment